6 giugno 2015

When Things get Tough the Tough eat Chocolate

§ Confessions of a chocolate-chomping teacher 


I never believed chocolate gives you pimples. 2015 is my year to prove it
Last September they sent me to teach in a mountain village: 54 km from home.
Since then, I've been commuting 4 times a week, sometimes 5.
The alarm clock at 5 am, insomnia, mountain roads with bends and curves, loud students, fatigue, temperature, hundreds of bucks on gasoline, fools overtaking you in tunnels or on a snowy bend, trucks slagging uphill at 30 km/h + rain, fog, cold, snow...
No.
No way.
No way I could have made it without chocolate and be here to tell the tale.
110 km driving per day
=
440 km driving per week
=
1,760 km driving per month
=
15,840 kilometers by car in a school year

my consumption of chocolate skyrocketed
35 grams a day

=
210 grams per 6 days a week
=
840 grams per month
=
7,560 kg CHOCOLATE in a school year (of 9 months)


I ate it all guilt-free, with no extra fat or pimples
in front of the coffee vending machine some days ago a colleague told me of her new ice-cream maker; I was already revving when she added “I have to find some ice-cream recipes without cream and sugar, and I was thinking of coffee ice-cream”.
what?

I just let it slide: I don't even remember my name before morning coffee, but I don't waste a look on coffee ice-cream.
Ditto for chocolate: I can't conceive the creation of the universe without chocolate, but chocolate cake and ice-cream give me no thrills.
I didn't like to discourage her, so I just ignored the remark. But now that I 'm thinking and writing about it I wonder: why the hell did she get a new flashy ice-cream maker, if she doesn't want to make good, creamy, yummy ice-cream?

a minute before the bell prompted us back to the classroom I took out a couple of "lifesaving chocolates"; Gobbling hers with a grimace the colleague told me she is a purist, and she would eat dark chocolate only - with minimum 70% cocoa, to be sure.
You should give it back then!” I thought to myself, but, nope, of course, too late, the chocolate was gone... And so were we, time's up and we had to slave away.

Read the whole post here

Nessun commento: